Evelyn’s Curried Cabbage Salad - Kerrie Kool – Boere Resepte from South Africa – Pickled Bottled Curry Cabbage – Sweet and Sour

This pickled bottled salad may be stored sealed bottled on top of your kitchen cupboards or refrigerated. It is great served at barbecues and is a very popular salad to serve at braais in South Africa also known as barbecues.
Very traditionally South-African, this recipe sounds nothing like it tastes and you are going to be pleasantly surprised just as I was. The curried sweet and sour flavor of this salad marries so very well up against the flavor of your meat together with a creamy mayonnaise potato salad.
The story behind this salad is one day I happened to visit a friend, Evelyn and she said would I like to try some of her curried cabbage in which she had bottles of it stored on top of her kitchen cupboards. I thought, well, I’m not too mad about trying this one, but what the hell, I have an inquiring mind when it comes to collecting good recipes and I thought, well don’t knock it until you’ve tried it. So I went ahead and tried some, and to my surprise, it was way better than I had expected - by far! So I asked her for the recipe. She wrote it down and here it is.

Notes: 
Do NOT add the vinegar until the cabbage has fully softened or it will not soften! 😉
Use your own judgment on adding the sugar. Some will like more while others prefer less.

Ingredients:
lb (450 g) Cabbage
lb onions (4 onions)
+/- ¾ cup white vinegar to taste
2 cups sugar or to taste
15 ml of salt
45 ml Maizena (corn flour) – cornstarch
20 – 25 ml Rajah Mild Curry Powder
7.5 ml – 10 ml Turmeric

Method: 
Shred cabbage, finely by hand or with metal blade on in your food processor.
Cook with salt until soft in a bit of water (about a ½ cup), together with finely chopped onions.
Once soft, add vinegar and sugar. Cook slowly until dissolved. Once dissolved, stir Maizena (corn flour), curry powder with turmeric into a smooth, lump-free paste together with a little cold vinegar.
Add to cabbage, and cook until almost dry.
Bottle and seal in sterilized jars whilst still very hot.  – Enjoy!

4 Comments

  1. Baie lekker resep. Goed saam met braaivleis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ek stem saam! Baie, baie lekker resep! Maklik en smaaklik.
    It is definitely worth a try! Easy recipe!
    Thanks Evelyn. Serve with scramble eggs on toast as a breakfast surprise :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I totally agree, and incredibly delicious with a braai. I have never tried it with scrambled eggs on toast - it does sound delicious. If it wasn't for my sugar allergy, definitely, I would try it. It was always a 'must' with a braai for me. I used to make it a lot, and I really do miss it.

      Delete
Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form